Standing With Our Clients When It Counts

Was your professional license denied? You can appeal

On Behalf of | Oct 20, 2020 | Uncategorized |

If your profession requires a license, then you’ve probably dedicated a lot of time, effort, and money to getting where you are today. It’s too much to risk your licensure based on a minor criminal offense, an allegation of misconduct, or an ethical violation. Yet, a licensure denial is an all too real possibility for many professionals in California, which is why if your facing license denial, then you need to make sure you’re putting your strongest case forward.

The standard

In most professional licensing cases, a license can be denied if an identified act is substantially related to the function or duties of the profession in question. Many of these professions also deny licenses for certain criminal convictions and dishonesty. This is a pretty broad standard that leaves a lot that oftentimes leaves room for interpretation.

The appeal

If your license has been denied for some reason, then you have the ability to appeal the denial. You’ll receive a statement of facts that indicate specifically why your license was denied, at which point you have 60 days to submit a written appeal. Once you do that, then you’ll receive an administrative hearing. At this hearing, you’ll be allowed to call witnesses and submit testimony to try to demonstrate why the denial was wrong, such as by trying to show that the act in question isn’t substantially related to your profession. Beware that an attorney will represent the other side, so you need to go into this hearing prepared to zealously argue on your behalf.

Know how best to handle your case

Properly dealing with licensure issues can have a tremendous impact on your future. If your claim is denied, then you’ll have to wait at least a year before you can try to get licensed again. That’s time that you probably can’t waste. So, if you want to know which legal strategy is going to best position you for success, then you might want to discuss your case with an attorney who is adept in this area of the law.